Knitting Rocks!

This isn’t exactly breaking news but I was just reminded of this as I was watching one of the new iPod commercials. A while back the genious French director Michel Gondry made a video for the song Walkie Talkie Man by the band Steriogram where just about everything in the video is knitted!

It’s such an amazing video and the song will stick in your head for days.

Here’s the video: http://steriogram.com/video.htm.
And here’s a piece about the making of the video is here: http://steriogram.com/. They show knitters literally knitting up the items in the video while it’s in production.

If you want to see more my Michel Gondry, I highly recommend this DVD which is a collection of music videos he’s done: The Work of Director Michel Gondry. It was released before this Steriogram video was made so that’s not on the DVD. But there are so many stunning videos that involve the ingenious trickery of Michel Gondry. For example the White Stripes video for Fell in Love with a Girl which is done with legos and stop animation.

He was also the director of the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

1. Angela says:

You know I was watching a “making of” Eternal Sunshine last night and they were interviewing Jim Carrey who was saying that Gondry uses absolutely no special effects ever (even for Sunshine). Everything you see is just done right in front of the camera. Amazing. Also, if you listen, that song is in at least 2 commercials that I know of right now (can’t think of which ones at the moment) :)

2. rhiannon says:

yay new zealand! I’ve seen stereogram play a few times. but I’d never seen the video..

3. The Meow Wont Purr! says:

Yeay! I’m so excited that you posted about Michel Gondry. The first time I saw that video, I was amazed, and.. pretty inspired to make my own knitted studio :) I think that’s his son in the Steriogramvideo, and the same for Fell In Love With a Girl. Gondry is so creative, and that DVD is amazing. Eternal Sunshine and The Work Of definitely deserve attention.

4. momo says:

it is an ipod comercial I dont know where else

5. dawn says:

i just got the gondry dvd a few weeks ago-it rocks!

6. Ari says:

I’ve been a fan of the DVD since it came out — you’ve got to check out the supplemental footage on it, it’s a production all in itself. Gondry explains how he does what he does, and he uses yet more animation and such to do it. Awesome!

7. Kerri says:

I love the white stripes. Haha. The Fell In Love with a Girl video is really awesome.

8. Stargirl52 says:

wooh! Go NZ!!!
    Sorry, just putting in my two cents.
    -G.

9. quarkiegirl says:

Wow, what an awesome video!

10. quarkiegirl says:

Sorry to post again, but I remembered where I heard this song…it’s on a baseball video game that my boyfriend has. I think it’s MLB 2004… :)

11. Kelly says:

Thank you SO much for sharing this! As a filmmaker AND a crafter, I find this wildly inspiring! I’m a big fan of Gondry and love the DVD and Eternal Sunshine, but didn’t know about this one. He’s absolutely amazing!

12. spots_87 says:

yes, Steriogram rocks! I love them! I play that video over and over and it never gets old. After you watch it the song gets stuck in your head forever.

13. sarahdotcom says:

Obligatory “yay NZ”!
    I didn’t realise they were popular elsewhere. I’m so out of touch…

14. Anonymous says:

So very glad I found this truly great site :-)

15. Anonymous says:

good work, will back soon, great site congratulation!!

16. thank so much for all the great information in this post!